Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2017

10 Favorite Horror Movies (Ever) (Part II of II)


The Houses October Built Poster
(imdb.com)
5. The Houses October Built
When this movie first came out, its promotional material left me questioning it's quality. I first saw it the weekend after it was released (this is important to note for the validity that I am in fact a taste maker), and since then, it has become a Netflix hit. Prior to its addition to streaming though, this movie was bubbling under the sea with a very small group of fans.

I am so happy it has become better known. As a late entry into the over-saturated found-footage subgenre, The Houses October Built is maybe one of the best. It's a terrifying and realistic movie following a group of friends searching for the biggest "haunt" (what the film calls haunted houses). They take it a step too far and things spiral out of control. What gets to me is the fact that the movie felt like something my friends and I would do or would at least attempt to a lesser extent. The Houses October Built isn't necessarily the most original, but it is a really effective and grounded movie that will leave you at the edge of your seat.

Insidious Poster
(imdb.com)
4. Insidious & Sinister (that's right, another tie)
The next four (five because of Sinister) on this list are undoubtedly modern classics. I decided to place these two movies together because of the level of fear they struck into me. As a fan of Blumhouse, the fact that these movies came from the same company does not surprise me. They are perhaps the most terrifying set of film within the past 10 years, only rivaled by James Wans' The Conjuring (he also made Insidious). I cannot even explain how I felt after watching these movies because they struck such a deep cord.

Even their eventual sequels, while sometimes problematic, are perfectly fine entries into the genre (expect a "In Defense" article on the third Insidious). Bughuul (Sinister) left me with days and nights of little sleep and constant fear (maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much of a stretch). That, paired with every ghost in Insidious has left me deeply troubled. The moments in the baby's room alone- from the horrifying man behind the crib to the baby monitor, make Insidious a worthwhile venture.

The Babadook Poster
(imdb.com)

3. The Babadook
One of my proudest moments in my life was watching The Babadook get released. As someone who caught up with the film immediately at the end of its Kickstarter campaign, I felt personally attached to the movie and now, as I have watched it spread its horrifying cape, I can't help but smile. Even without the horror, the story of a woman struggling to raise a problem-prone son would be compelling (Essie Davis is stunning). But, when you add in the lucid scares that seem central to The Babadook, there's no denying this film's power.


The Witch Poster
(imdb.com)
2. The Witch
Widely recognized as one of the best films of 2016 and most certainly the best horror movie of the year, The Witch is a terrific  period piece that's slow burn is powerful. I've talked to some people who did not enjoy this movie and for each of those people, I came to love it even more. The Witch is a piece of art, and a scary one at that. There is literally nothing wrong with this movie. From Black Phillip to each of the actors' and actresses' turns as colonial folk, The Witch is amazing.

The Conjuring Poster
(imdb.com)
1. The Conjuring
I don't even know what to say about this movie without sounding repetitive of the other entries on the list, except that it is all of the positive things above, and then some. I have been engrossed by this movie ever since I saw a midnight premiere and witnessed an entire audience collectively scream. It felt unreal as the camera panned up to the wardrobe where Bathsheba sat ready to pounce. I don't care how unoriginal it is for this movie to be my favorite, because it simply cannot be beat. I would love for something to challenge it though, just so I can have that moment of being that impressed once more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment