Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2017

10 Favorite Horror Movies (Ever) (Part I of II)


It's been about a week since I began this blog and I realized that I most definitely should have started things off acknowledging my favorite horror movies of all time. As noted, I am a child of modern horror and my opinions tend to reflect that. I do enjoy some classics and will more than likely talk about them again, but in terms of my current standings on the industry, only two "classics" made it into my list. However, I would argue that all of the movies I've listed will be looked back upon as classics as well.

The Strangers Movie Poster
(rogerebert.com)
10. The Strangers
As previously noted in my list of favorite slashers, I truly love The Strangers. From the nostalgia it provides for me to the very real fears it doles out, it's a staple in my horror collection. I have been confused for so long as to how so many people collectively decided they didn't enjoy this movie, I spent years backing into rooms making sure no one was about to come behind me. Fire alarms still give me pause and I am always afraid to be home alone. With all that said, I think it would be a lie not to include The Strangers on my top list.

The Descent Poster
(imdb.com)
9. The Descent
The Descent frequently is placed on lists of best modern horror films, but it is so much more. The Descent is a bona fide classic. The first time I saw this movie I was left scarred. It is a deep, terrifying adventure film that also happens to feature a diverse group of female leads, and honestly it deserves more recognition than it gets. The Descent was everything in high school and I'll be watching it this weekend. 
The Exorcist Poster
(imdb.com)


8. The Exorcist
For all I say about modern horror, The Exorcist continues to be one of my favorites of all time. It's too amazing not to love and where other older horror movies falter when looked at through today's lens, The Exorcist holds on. It's acting isn't overrated or outdated, not even its effects seem that outlandish and fake. The movie is able to transcend time and I am here for it. 
The Cabin in the Woods Poster
(imdb.com)

7. Cabin In The Woods
What is this movie? That was my question the first time I saw Cabin in the Woods. I then went back to the theater and saw it two additional times. It's funny without trying too hard, scary without it being the center of the film and interesting beyond all belief. I really, really dig this movie. I love it so much I have purchased merchandise featuring it. The scares  are real, the humor is solid and no one can say it's an un enjoyable movie. By the time Sigourney Weaver, one of the original "final girls," shows up, the brakes have been completely smashed away.

Scream Poster
(imdb.com)
6. Scream
I loved all four of these movies. They're so emblematic of everything Halloween (I'd argue even more so than Halloween itself) and for this reason alone, it's one of my favorites. On top of that, I love the characters- From Sid to Dewey, to literally anything that Cougar Town says, this movie is a relentless horror movie that is in on any jokes it offers. It's the ultimate satire and I am here for it. There is not a thing I would change about these movies. While not particularly scary (except for the stray jump), Scream is a must-see horror movie for literally anyone ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment