Search This Blog

Friday, March 24, 2017

Best In Show: Horror's Creepy Kids (Part II of II)



image1.gif
(weheartit.com)
5. The Little Things, Hand bitter (King Kong), spotlighted child (Chernobyl Diaries) token apocalypse daughter (Quarantine)
Rather than occupy entire spots for these small roles, I decided to combine these deservedly noteworthy moments of terror. In each of the films occupying this spot, these children were absolute scene stealers, leaving me with nightmares for weeks. Whether it's the little girl with the chocolate bar in the King Kong remake or the small radioactive child in Chernobyl Diaries, or even the somewhat larger role as the residential apartment girl in Quarantine, these youngsters truly shook me to my core. In fact, part of me thinks they deserve to be placed higher as their parts really did scare me whole-heartedly.

image1.gif
(giphy.com)
4. The Grady Twins (The Shining)
I remember the first time I encountered The Shining was when I was sneakily watching my parents watch it and the first scene I saw was with The Grady Twins. Without context or truly understanding their role in the film, I was still terrified. The Grady Twins gave me goose bumps and it was only until I saw the movie in full years later that I realized that no matter what, they would scare me.

image2.gif
(bcharts.net)
3. Mercy & Jonas (The Witch)
Mercy and Jonas are perhaps two of the greatest children in modern horror. From their willingness to talk to a goat, to Mercy's iconic "clickity-clackity" scene, the pair is odd in both appearance and personality. There's something so innately off-putting about the two youngsters, who seem all too innocent. As the movie progresses and fingers begin to point at their wayward ways, the suspense and tension building around Mercy and Jonas made my hair stand on ends. It was as if all these underlying thoughts overflowed into my consciousness and left me unsettled. Mercy and Jonas are truly standouts in the already stacked Witch cast. Their spot on this list is more than worthwhile.

image3.gif
(giphy.com)
2. Regan (The Exorcist)Probably the most legendary child in horror, Regan is the epitome of scary. As a young girl possessed by Satan, she is by far one of the scariest children ever. Whether speaking in tongues or lashing out, Regan is the pinnacle poster child of horror and her actions throughout The Exorcist should scare everyone, but especially parents. What makes her even more effective is the fact that, outside of her possession, Regan is a character you feel for. She's a simple young girl who is then afraid herself of the entity surrounding her. In fact, even the later revival of The Exorcist into the Fox series gives a continued depth to the youngster who terrified a generation.

image4.gif
(tumblr.com)
1. Asian Influences Kayako and Toshio (The Grudge) & Samara (The Ring)
Full-disclosure: Without having ever seen the source material for The Ring and The Grudge, I can say that the American recreation of these ominous children is still terrifying. And, while eventually I will see Ju-On and Ringu, for now, I will settle to being afraid of the American versions of Kayoko and Toshio and Samara. For movies that have widely been criticized as less-than, I can say with utmost honesty, that these characters were haunting. Each left me up at night and while later sequels took away from - or in the case of Rings, ruined them, each of the three children haunting these films is amazing in their American original form

No comments:

Post a Comment