Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Best in Show: Found Footage (I of II)

When I decided to list out my favorite found-footage horror movies for this blog I had one thing in mind: Avoid the [REC] vs. Quarantine argument. For sure, there are strong arguments as to why [REC] is better- it's the original after all. But, I also feel like that shouldn't necessarily discredit its actually scary American remake. So, to avoid any argument from either side, I omitted these movies all together (you can toss them in wherever you want on this list). But, when I did eventually make out this article, I realized just how many options I had. Found-footage was a strong forced to be reckoned with and then it quickly petered out through oversaturation. However, between the muck and glum of various restarts for the subgenre, there are a lot of strong gems.


The Bay Poster
(imdb.com)
10. The Bay (2012) & The Sacrament (2014) (A TIE! NO WAY!)
I'm not entirely sure what possessed me (get it?) to put these two next to each other. Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't justify removing one for the other or maybe it's the fact that both movies are about investigations, but either way they deserve slots on this list.

For those with a weak stomach, The Bay is probably a movie you'll want to miss. But for those that do, this movie about a polluted water system and one local reporter's mission to survive and uncover the secrets behind the contamination, is a terrifying eco-horror story that is especially relevant today. The Bay is the type of movie that will make your skin crawl, but with enough of a message that makes you think.

This past summer I went through a weird cult phase. I read The Girls, watched Holy Hell and Jesus Camp and tried to find anything I could that focused on this subgenre. I quickly found The Sacrament thanks to Netflix. The Sacrament follows a pair of journalists who visit a cult that has captivated their friend's sister. The cult is suspect at best and things quickly unravel. The Sacrament is an insane look at cult culture that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Paranormal Activity 2 Poster
(imdb.com)
9. Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
I'll ignore any argument that suggests that any other part of the Paranormal Activity franchise is as good as its sequel. Easily the scariest and most definitely the most entertaining, the second film in the found-footage revival franchise is as good as sequels get. This movie left me haunted. The stories of the shadowy figure that sat at the end of the girls' beds as they slept kept me awake at night. I love Paranormal Activity 2 more than any in their mostly overrated franchise.

Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County Poster
(imdb.com)
8. Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County (1998)
In 1989, UFO Abduction (sometimes called The McPherson Tapes) was quietly released with a low-budget, homemade look that made a huge impact. Like the radio hit, War of the Worlds, UFO Abduction was believed to be real. But, after the confusion died down and the production made its mark, it was the recreation and feature-length adaption in 1998, that truly deserves recognition. Made with actors and a higher budget, Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County struck a deep cord in me because of its grounded and realistic feel. Sure, I went in knowing the movie wasn't real, but the stuffy, homemade feel of the movie laid a tone that is hard to overlook. Alien abductions make for scary conspiracy theories, and this homemade look at one is a terrifyingly intimate addition.

Lake Mungo Poster
(imdb.com)
7. Lake Mungo (2010)
At varying points, Lake Mungo left me with more questions than answers. It's a somewhat confusing movie about a missing girl and the potential ghost that she became. It's filled with twists and turns and when Lake Mungo veers it continues to keep audiences attentive. The whole atmosphere of this movie and its gloomy setting are enough to draw viewers in and scare them with intermittent moments of terror.

The Taking of Deborah Logan Poster
(imdb.com)

6. The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)
I feel like The Taking of Deborah Logan is the type of movie that belonged in theaters. It certainly offers a fair share of scares and its plot is much more original than most movies that come out of the genre. Everything about this movie is great. The acting is strong, the scares aren't cheap and the twisted nature at which the story unfolds is terrifyingly great. The Taking of Deborah Logan is a must-see for more than fans of the subgenre; it is a must for any horror fan out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment